02 Feb My New Year Resolutions – Report Card
Posted at 12:13h in Laughter Club, Random Ramblings 0 Comments
A month into 2016, and here I am taking stock of which resolutions I stuck to and which I got stuck into.
- My first resolution was decided a few days before 2015 had officially ended. I had met a tarot card reader, who urged that I meditate for 10 minutes daily. Only 10 minutes? I had thought. That’s doable! Starting Jan 1st, I would meditate for 10 minutes daily, I decided. I added that to my NY resolutions at number 1, very excited at making a new year resolution that promised such holistic well-being.Except as I write this, we are already well approaching the end of the first month and I am yet to manage to spare a mere 10 minutes.Hopefully, I would have been able to renew my resolutions and started the new month by meditating for a mere 10 minutes at least once, by the time you read this.
- My second resolution was to disconnect from the online world including blogging for at least an hour daily. Instead I had decided to utilize that 1 hour to go for a walk in the neighbourhood park. Yay! I can proudly say that I managed to do that. Once. I must state here that the 1 hour that I walked around the periphery of the park was most productive, as I managed to fulfill all my social messaging obligations. I chatted on Whatsapp, checked out FB notifications, replied to comments on my blog, and to mails and Gtalk messages. Whew! All within the span of that 1 hour. Walking and working. Impressive. Although I wonder why after an hour of walking, I found myself barely 20 steps forward from my starting point.
- Third resolution was to read more blogs and articles. I have been very diligent in sourcing new blogs and articles. There are exactly 17 tabs open in my browser window, each displaying a must-read article. Not to mention another 6 that are book-marked. The tabs have been open for a month. Twice my computer rebooted itself, and twice I cursed my stars at not having read the articles and for being dependent on unhelpful technology. Fortunately, the tabs were far more stubborn in their existence than my laptop in trying to shut them down, as they remained intact even after two re-boots, and promptly opened to the last accessed page on their own, thanks to Google’s error detection technology. Who says technology isn’t helpful?!
- Fourth resolution was to read more books and watch more TV shows that enhance my knowledge.
I have a list of 11 books that I intend to read. I have finished just one, till now – an e-book sent by a blogger friend of mine. (Thanks, Rashmi!) It’s a different matter altogether that I read it from start to finish, only because she had assured me the discovery of a new love. Fooled by her promise that I would forget Derek Shepherd and would find a new man to drool over, I devoured the book in 2 days. Alas! She had underestimated my love for Dr. McDreamy!
On TV shows: I am currently watching my 357th rerun of Grey’s Anatomy as a newly purchased paperback lies unopened on my table. Figured the practical lessons on How to Get away with Murder could wait until after my meditation sessions were over. Since the lack of meditation would no longer be able to keep me calm, it would be best to put my murderous moods to good use then. Ex-bosses, ex-boyfriends and all the world’s creeps, rejoice for you live to see another day.
- My fifth resolution was to learn new recipes. For this purpose, I had even bought a whole bag of ingredients and groceries. The sauces were instead used up as bread spreads.
Yesterday, when I went rummaging the vegetables for a new recipe I had finally been inspired to try, they were nowhere to be found. I had started to suspect the hand of foreign sources and alien presence in the disappearance of the ingredients, when I was told that after a few days of waiting for me to use them the groceries were packed in a box and pushed to the back of the refrigerator. They had remained there until Mom decided to give up on me and used it up for the usual meals. (I suspect she is secretly jealous of my cooking abilities and deliberately attempted to throw me off my New Year goals.)
- Sixth resolution was to Travel. Aah! This one would be a surely achievable one, since I am so fond of travelling. I am currently awaiting yet another itinerary from yet another travel agent. The previous 7 that I had contacted have turned me down on the pretext of not having a suitable itinerary to match my requirements. What does that even mean? It was strange that a travel agent, whose only source of revenue is designing itineraries and travel packages, was telling me they were unable to do just that. One had even sent me an email explaining their reasons. Unfortunately, instead of giving clarity, it had mystified me even more. The travel operator expressed regret and said they had been “unable to design an itinerary to match my budget of Rs. 0/-”.
- Seventh Resolution was… you really want to know?! Let’s just suffice it to say that after intense searching in both worlds by family and friends, I continue to remain unmarried.
Tropilija has happily flown back to his home planet with Mastani, a white furred four-legged creature who he fell in love with after watching the Bollywood film Bajirao Mastani. I believe he imagined himself to be the eternal lover Bajirao. They were married off with much fan-fare and pomp, in the presence of Derek Shepherd and Will Gardner, who had very graciously risen from the dead to attend this holy union. The only two people unhappy with this match were my neighbour’s rottweiler, Rocky and my fellow blogger and friend Anand R. Rocky has since then taken fancy to angrily chewing up anything that has the words ‘out of this world’ written on it. I have somehow been able to keep my left hand, tattooed with the exact same words, out of his sight and reach.
These days, however he is besotted with another white female who responds to the name of Missie.
Anand has meanwhile decided to post-pone the plans for his inter-planetary match-making business to another lifetime.
So, at least for now, we are back to looking at humanly appearing grooms for me.
I plan to re-new my resolutions at the start of February and hope to have better luck sticking to them the second time round.
How have you fared in achieving your New Year Resolutions?
MindandLifeMattersPosted at 12:36h, 02 February
That was an amazing read!
You see, this is exactly why I don’t do resolutions anymore! 😀
I don’t know which book I will have to send you to beat Derek Shepherd. Uhhh….I don’t know when you will come out of the GA fantasy world….!
Wandering SoulPosted at 14:56h, 02 February
Hahaha! Maybe when Shonda makes something that tops GA 😀 😀
NJPosted at 12:43h, 02 February
ha ha 😀 I couldn’t stop laughing 😀 seeing the way you have exploited your resolutions 😛 Better luck this time 😉
Wandering SoulPosted at 15:01h, 02 February
Neerja, am glad you find my plight amusing! Meanwhile, I am morose at the realization that I have failed at the renewing the resolutions. Time to re-renew 😀
Dr Meg SorickPosted at 12:57h, 02 February
Hahahaha! And that’s why I don’t make New Years’ resolutions!
Wandering SoulPosted at 14:56h, 02 February
You don’t need any! You’re already well on your way to becoming perfect! Muah!!
Dr Meg SorickPosted at 14:59h, 02 February
Oh now my head’s going to be so inflated I will float away! 😀
Wandering SoulPosted at 15:02h, 02 February
Well deserved pride, it will be! 🙂
Dr Meg SorickPosted at 15:11h, 02 February
You’re too sweet!
Kim RichardsonPosted at 13:05h, 02 February
Haha! That was such an entertaining read! I suspect you are not alone in struggles with the dreaded “New Years Resolution”. I don’t make them myself. Although if I were to, I’d have picked similar ones to you. Best of luck with your “New Month Resolutions”, I’m looking forward to hearing how you go 😀
Wandering SoulPosted at 14:54h, 02 February
Thank you! I doubt I will make much progress. But I shall keep trying 😀
Kim RichardsonPosted at 01:35h, 03 February
And that’s all that matters 🙂
I think you have inspired me though to get back to yoga each morning … Just to settle my mind & start the day in calmness.
Wandering SoulPosted at 07:01h, 03 February
All the best! Hope you have better success at it than I did. 🙂
Kim RichardsonPosted at 07:04h, 03 February
I’ll keep you posted lol
Wandering SoulPosted at 07:07h, 03 February
hehehe … Look forward to it 🙂
Rhonda Wiley-JonesPosted at 14:27h, 02 February
I gave that up long time ago. I have creating an “intention” like in yoga is more productive and feels better. Instead of I’m going to meditate 10 minutes a day or lose 10 pounds, I decide I want to experience more gratitude or more awe. No, I have not done well at experiencing more awe this year most days since 2016 started, but I have found that consciously I think about it from time to time and feel like I’m making progress.
Rhonda Wiley-JonesPosted at 14:28h, 02 February
I am creating, not have creating. As a writer I should know I need to reread and edit. 🙂
Wandering SoulPosted at 14:45h, 02 February
hahaha! I often make typos myself! No Worries 😀
Wandering SoulPosted at 14:53h, 02 February
That’s half the battle won! 🙂
thejuicenutPosted at 14:47h, 02 February
Hilarious! Well-written. I don’t do resolutions either, but I do make ongoing ‘adjustments’ as and when I become aware they need to be made. I don’t know about you, but I miss Derek and Mark’s humour, latest series of GA is a bit dark and sullen so far.
Wandering SoulPosted at 14:50h, 02 February
I wasn’t so much a McSteamy fan 😛 But It’s just not the same without Derek! 🙁 I agree it is quite dark and depressing without humour and love. Especially with the other dark and twisted sister also no longer on the show.
thejuicenutPosted at 14:51h, 02 February
Can’t stand Amelia!
Wandering SoulPosted at 14:52h, 02 February
LOL. Me too, although I was talking about Christina (Sandra’s exit) 😀
thejuicenutPosted at 14:55h, 02 February
Yeah I got that, but it reminded me what Meredith said ‘ You’re not my sister, Christina’s my sister!’
Susan GuttermanPosted at 15:30h, 02 February
I was thoroughly entertained! I’ve gotten hooked on Nurse Jackie. It is addictive; whoops, maybe wrong choice of words!
Wandering SoulPosted at 15:33h, 02 February
Thank you, Susan! Shall check out Nurse Jackie 🙂
theturtlePosted at 00:00h, 03 February
Wandering SoulPosted at 07:08h, 03 February
Thanks for reading and commenting 🙂 Turtle Hugs 🙂
timelesswheelPosted at 04:16h, 03 February
Loved this! 🙂 Couldn’t stop laughing 😀 I miss Christina more than Derek… 🙁 It’s gonna start again this month (Yayy!) I couldn’t stop laughing at the Rs. 0 budget :’) Everyone around were staring at me while I completely ignored that and continued laughing at the screen. Good luck with the re-renewing 😀
Wandering SoulPosted at 07:06h, 03 February
I miss Christina too. Can’t wait for the new season 🙂 About the others staring at you, let them know about my resolution woes. Wouldn’t hurt to have more people join me in ganging up against those travel agents. 😉
timelesswheelPosted at 13:14h, 03 February
Hahaha! Definitely! How could they deny you of fulfilling your resolution? Surely, they had some ulterior motives. You must find out. Hire a detective I say.
what sandra thinksPosted at 06:39h, 03 February
I am proud to say I have accomplished all of my New Years resolutions already and it’s only the 3rd of February!
Here’s a list of what I accomplished:
I am amazing! 🙂
Wandering SoulPosted at 07:01h, 03 February
Hahaha! Sandra, that’s just amazing! I am inspired by your achievements 😀
what sandra thinksPosted at 07:04h, 03 February
😀 oh yes, I am awed by myself daily! 😉
sassandsaucePosted at 06:44h, 03 February
You are just so cute 🙂 Such a fun read. Made me smile although I am in a bad place currently. SO thanks..
Wandering SoulPosted at 06:59h, 03 February
Thank you! 😀 Glad to know I could make you smile. Sending you virtual hugs. Hope you feel better soon.
sassandsaucePosted at 07:13h, 03 February
Jahnavi ChintakuntaPosted at 23:39h, 22 February
Hilarious post😊 How is it going on in February?
Wandering SoulPosted at 12:18h, 23 February
Thanks! 🙂 Let’s just say I have resigned myself to making new resolutions every month. Especially, since the list for March is now being drawn up 😀
Jahnavi ChintakuntaPosted at 00:12h, 24 February
😀 good decision
Pingback:Horrors of Public Speaking/Sleeping – Wandering SoulPosted at 06:58h, 13 June
[…] there was no way I was backing out or turning it down. I also remembered my resolution (not the New Year Resolutions, don’t even remind me of those) of putting myself out of my comfort zone and do things that […]
Pingback:One Year … – Wandering SoulPosted at 09:06h, 31 October
[…] year of chasing my dreams. One year of whimsical story-telling and wishful thinking that sometimes made people laugh and other times made them cry. One year of writing nonsense and of writing something that […]
Pingback:When World Affairs Stump and Trump – Satire Around The World – Wandering SoulPosted at 04:00h, 27 December
[…] 2016 has been a year of political chaos worldwide. A year of hard choices – a year to really understand who we are – as nations – as the human race – and as individuals. From the Syria and refugee crisis to Brexit, Trump, and demonetization. 2016 has had the world making the wrong choices in most cases and the lack of reward for the right ones (talking about Germany and Angela M). So 2016, and the year following needs active soliciting political points of view in the form of storytelling and humor. […]
Pingback:A Week Gone By – Wandering SoulPosted at 01:17h, 08 September
[…] something that I have been failing to do regularly since the past many months. But now that I have committed to it I might as well honour the […]